Sunday, July 19, 2020

Novel update and blog announcement

I turned in the second draft of my novel Leave Society, forthcoming summer 2021 from Vintage Books, on July 15. It’s ~82,000 words. Each of my novels has gotten longer. Eeeee Eee Eeee was ~35k words. Richard Yates was ~50k words. Taipei was ~75k words. I feel calm and wise having a steadily increasing novel length. I want my next novel to be shorter, though, maybe ~50k words.

Here are the word counts of all the drafts so far (the Jan 17, 2020 one counts as the first draft because it’s the first one I showed my editor/agent) of Leave Society:
Oct 12, 2018. 143,452 words.
Nov 22, 2018. 111,672 words, without prologue
Mar 6, 2019. 97,059 words, 7 parts, 50 chapters
May 7, 2019. 82,173 words, 4 parts, 40 chapters
Jul 21, 2019. 83,063 words, 4 parts, 36 chapters
Nov 4, 2019. 87,201 words, 4 parts, 35 chapters
Jan 17, 2020. 91,300 words, 4 parts, 32 chapters
July 15, 2020. 82,205 words, 4 parts, 31 chapters
The novel is set from November 2014 to January 2018. I used 526,939 words of notes—and probably around 100 hours of Voice Memos—that I took from October 2013 to January 2020 to help me write it. The 143,452 draft mentioned above is selections from the notes.

Some reasons I decided to start a blog:
1. I don't like everything I publish, on Medium, Patreon, Twitter, Instagram, having likes/favorites. It seems detrimental to mental health for everything I publish to have a number attached to it showing how much people like it.
2. I have a lot of extra material from writing Leave Society that I can talk about here, for example books or papers that I wanted to reference but didn't fit in the novel.
3. I liked having a blog from 2005-2013. It was called Reader of Depressing Books and four of the posts can still be read here. I regret deleting the rest of the blog. I probably had hundreds of posts. In 2013 and again in 2018 I had strong desires to winnow down my internet presence. Now it seems better to me to have more, rather than less, of my stuff online.
4. I liked when my friends had blogs and we all linked to each other's blogs on our blogs.
Another thought:
I decided to just have the default urls for my sites, for example having my main site by taolin.tumblr.com, and this blog be leavesociety.blogspot.com, in part because I used to have taolin.info and somehow I couldn't get it renewed. There was some problem with Google, so I lost the url, and had to relink all my sites to my new url. Seems easier to just have the default url. 

10 comments:

  1. Is there any archive of the posts from Reader of Depressing Books anywhere??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://web.archive.org/web/20110711161350/http://heheheheheheheeheheheehehe.com/
      i found it on the wayback machine! tao, you might find this interesting, too.

      Delete
    2. That was how I knew who Lorrie Moore was... what up Tristan?

      Delete
    3. @tao -- lmk if you want me to write a script to copy your old posts onto this blog.. i think it wouldn't be too hard

      Delete
    4. err.. actually on wayback machine i'm not sure how to get to other pages of the blog besides the homepage. nvm. flaking on this offer

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearts, likes and bluechips take the joy out of writing. I agree with #1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never deleted two of my posts so fast. Holy fucking shit. I resolved that situation that the legal system did not address with that individual personally. I forgave him and vice versa. Damn, that was some destructive alcoholism back in the day. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete