Monday, August 31, 2020

Author photos

I got large, round glasses around two years ago because the frames don't block as much of my vision as frames of glasses with smaller lens do, and because there's less distortion on the edges. 


They seem normal to me now, but sometimes I've been aware though that I look "less credible" to some or most people while wearing them, in part because they look somewhat Harry Potter-like. Credibility has been more important to me since 2013 or so when I started reading a lot of nonfiction books, doing research on nature and society, and writing about my research. So for my author photo that I just sent my publisher I used my credible glasses, with smaller lens.

This glasses topic was in my forthcoming novel, Leave Society, but it was deleted in an early draft. A draft from November 2018 said:

The next day, walking alone stoned, Li realized he slightly tilted his head back all the time so that the top part of his glasses frames wouldn’t block his vision. He realized that if he wore glasses with huge round frames, his whole body would assume a more natural position. Realizing people would think he was wearing atypical glasses just to be weird, he felt reluctant to do it.  

*Photos by Yuka Igarashi

*Update* After discussing with Yuka, I decided to also send a round-glasses photo. *Update*

8 comments:

  1. i like the round glasses tao <3 they suit your face

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Pynchon doesn't have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if someone is going to think you are weird tao, i don't think it will be because of your glasses of all things. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should get a colour one like red or dark blue it will make u appear smarter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red and dark blue both sound good. I want a green one too.

      Delete
  5. use the round glasses photo, rectangular glasses look way less cool

    ReplyDelete