Friday, August 21, 2020

Acknowledgements

I worked on Leave Society's acknowledgements' page today. The first thing I did was check what I put for Trip, my previous book and second book to have an acknowledgements page:
Thank you to my family and friends; to Kathleen Harrison, Finn McKenna, and Klea McKenna; to Tim O’Connell, Bill Clegg, and Angie Venezia; and to my publisher, Vintage.
Then I came up with this:
Thank you to my parents, parents’ dog, brother, nephew, uncle, aunt, friends, partner, editor (Tim O’Connell), agent (Bill Clegg), publicist (Angie Venezia), and publisher (Vintage).
I like it because it's a fractal summation of the novel, and could gently remind the reader a little of what happened, after they finish reading it, and because it's brief. An overly long acknowledgements page could make the reader forget what they just read, take them out of the dream of the novel.

My first book with an acknowledgements page was Taipei, which just said, "Thank you to my editor, Tim O’Connell, and my agent, Bill Clegg." Before Taipei, I didn't want to have an acknowledgements page. I didn't know who to thank, and it seemed somehow not fitting with the books I published to be thanking people at the end of the book. I felt too alone, and like I was working alone, and also like it was obvious from the books' contents who I was thankful for. It still seems obvious now, with my previous two books and next book, but I work more closely with my editor now than with my pre-Taipei books and also have an agent and a publicist (not a private publicist but the one who works at my publisher).

15 comments:

  1. Curious if you are familiar with Zach bush’s work, specifically his ideas on vaccines, viruses, gut health and disease? If so, have you thought of using his Ion Biome product?

    If not, I would recommend this https://halelrod.com/dr-zach-bush/

    Because of an interesting and satisfying overlap with Terrance McKenna work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm familiar with Zach Bush through his work on glyphosate. Ion Biome seems good. I haven't thought of using it, but I've been working on my microbiome in other ways, like through diet.

      What is the overlap with McKenna?

      Delete
    2. Just that he seems to generally share a Mckenna-ian world view, which is satisfying to then have informed from a medical instead of botanical view. I would suggest jumping to 37:05 in the link above.

      Delete
    3. Nice. Enjoyed him talking about consciousness and microbes.

      Delete
  2. How many pages do you read per day Tao?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It varies a lot, from 0 to around 250, I think.

      Delete
  3. We are never alone and someone else is always helping us ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you drink caffeine everyday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. I've been having 2 teaspoons of matcha a day.

      Delete
  5. what drugs, if any, do you do these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having matcha (powder mixed with water), kava kava (powder mixed with water), and cannabis (baked and eaten).

      Delete
    2. why’d you stop kratom?

      Delete
    3. I stopped it years ago. I didn't like how I felt when I wasn't on it, and the way I felt while on it didn't last that long.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete