Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Leave Society third draft

I finished the third draft of my novel today. It's 1952 words or 2.4% shorter than the second draft. I worked on the third draft from July 29 to August 25. It's in four parts. I read and edited the first part once, then read and edited the second part twice and did the same for the third and fourth parts, then went through the whole book a final time. It's ~80,300 words now. My main method of editing for this novel has been to repeatedly go through it beginning to end. 

My editor thought the word "recovery" should be better defined, and I worked on that by copy-pasting every instance of "recovery" in the novel into another file, reading through it occasionally, and thinking of what to add or change. I previously did this with other threads in the novel too—a meta thread (in which the protagonist is writing the novel), a thread on "the mystery", a thread on microfireflies, a thread on the end of history, a thread on the partnership-dominator fall.

I had two files open whenever I was working on the novel. One was the novel. One was a file with unused material and metadata and other things, like a to-do list for the novel. In the latter file, I organized unused material into topics. I had/have these topics:

Autism
Bickering
Big Bang
Blaming
Blushing
Caldicotting
Cannabis
Change
Coleman
Compulsive-recursive
Consciousness
Cosmos
Cotton Field
Daoism
Degneration
Diet Coke
Doctors
Dreams
Drugs
Drug phase
Earth
Electricity
EMR
EMR—photons/electrons
EMR—schumann resonance
Exercise inventions
Emergent properties
EMF
Emily Martin
Feelings
Fertility
Friends
Glyphosate
Hutchison Effect
Ily
Jesus
Kathleen Harrison
Imagination
Learning
Living
Mercury
Meta
MKULTRA
Microbiome

And so on. Here is an example of what unused material I had in a topic (for Daoism):

-In China, metaphysics was called xuánxué, the dark learning, he knew from Ellen Marie Chen. Its main texts were Zhuangzi, Daodejing, and I Ching or Book of Changes. Chen defined xuánxué, which also translated to “the mystery school” and was close to Daoism, as “the search for what humans consider to be the profoundest values and their efforts to embody these values.”
-on how Dao may have originally been a female deity represented by a circle, which bifurcated into yin and yang
-and Mágū, a Daoist deity associated with cannabis and caves. 
-on the Daodejing’s “emphasis on the feminine,”
-“origin was rooted in the worship of the Mother-goddess”
-Dao was playful, spontaneous
-Translate “dark” line myself—玄 之 又 玄
-玄 was in Daodejing 12 times
-Laozi was an older contemporary of Confucius.
-Daodejing is “a hymm to the power and love of Tao as the Great Mother.”
-Chen called death “merely one stage of Life’s endless transformations”
-that when people see something mysterious, they say very xuán. 
-In Daoism, wrote Chen, “the grotesque and deformed and weak” belonged more to the process of change and so were “closer to the Mother.”
-xuan—"black, dark; mysterious, profound, abstruse, arcane”
-and wrote the Daodejing before going, post-retirement, to live in seclusion
-which was attributed to Laozi (literally “old teacher”), and which Chen felt was more fittingly called “the old wisdom,” 
-of the trinity of birth-death-rebirth

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tao, I’m really enjoying these insights. Do you ever struggle with compulsive editing? Like thinking it could always be better and constantly revising in minor ways?

    I’m curious what the most difficult or challenging aspects of writing are for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I struggled with compulsive editing when I used Adderall, from 2010-2014. I would keep trying to edit even when I was braindead and it would go on for a while and would be unproductive.

      For this novel, a challenging aspect was thinking of original things to say about nature and society and the imagination.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this blog post. I love whenever you share about process, as it is inspiring and illuminating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed reading your updates about the novel and the tweets about it too. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how many milligrams of kavalactones do you take a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having 1.5 to 2 teaspoons of dehydrated kava juice per day: https://drinkroot.com/products/the-raw-connoisseur-instant-kava

      Delete
  6. Hi Tao,

    I've enjoyed reading your books and have a few questions.

    - What would you recommmend for someone in their mid-20s who feels lost and a sense of purposelessness?

    - What do you think about capitalism?

    - What do you think about veganism and/or animal welfare?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reading my books.

    I would recommend trying to find purpose and meaning that seems sustainable. Meaning like this can be found from books and individuals outside the mainstream. When I felt meaningless in 2012 I found meaning by listening to Terence McKenna, who promoted nature, psychedelics, and learning.

    I think capitalism could work in a partnership society, where people are highly aware that corporations need to be heavily regulated in order to prevent them from destroying the environment, poisoning and cursing people, and corrupting ideas, like if people started learning about this in school and saw it on TV instead of commercials by corporations.

    I support animal welfare, and think the best animal welfare mode that I know of is to live in harmony with animals in nature, as aboriginals did for hundreds of millennia, instead of to be vegetarian or vegan. I used to be vegetarian and vegan and I don't think it necessarily reduces animal suffering. Factory farms seem very bad for animal welfare, but there are many farms where animals are treated well and are part of a symbiotic system that feeds the soil and also grows plants.

    ReplyDelete